At Sandown Nursing home we provide palliative care for people living with a terminal illness, and also for people who have a complex illness and need their symptoms managed by trained nursing staff.
Our aim is to treat or manage pain and other physical symptoms, and to help with any psychological, social or spiritual needs. Our palliative care includes caring for people who are nearing the end of life.
HELPING TO ACHIEVE THE BEST QUALITY OF LIFE
- improve quality of life
- provide relief from pain and other distressing symptoms
- support life and regards dying as a normal process
- doesn’t quicken or postpone death
- combine psychological and spiritual aspects of care
- offers a support system to help people live as actively as possible until death
- offers a support system to help the family cope during a person’s illness and in bereavement
- uses a team approach to address the needs of the person who is ill and their families
- also applies to the earlier stages of illness, alongside other therapies that are aimed at prolonging life